Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Gettin' Edumacated, Rainbows and Allies...

I'm not usually very political in my posting, this is an art blog after all (which I will get to near the end of the post) but in in the wake of the gay teen suicides, I'm encouraging everyone to get educated. As a society, we don't want teens, any teens killing themselves. The statistics will shock you, they did me.



  • Nine out of 10 LGBT students (86.2%) experienced harassment at school; three-fifths (60.8%) felt unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation; and about one-third (32.7%) skipped a day of school in the past month because of feeling unsafe (GLSEN National School Climate Survey 2009).
  • LGBT students are three times as likely as non-LGBT students to say that they do not feel safe at school (22% vs. 7%) and 90% of LGBT students (vs. 62% of non-LGBT teens) have been harassed or assaulted during the past year. (GLSEN From Teasing to Torment 2006)
  • Sexual minority youth, or teens that identify themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual, are bullied two to three times more than heterosexuals. (Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH 2010)

Shocking. We need to pay attention to this. People have a right to debate, people may not accept but I ask for tolerance. Let's not push others over the edge, teens are especially vulnerable.

Rainbows are a symbol of LGBT pride and I've selected a few of my favorites up for sale on Artfire.

Lara Lutrick's beautiful Rainbow hearts

My Lampwork Garden, Set of Christmas Lights


The Pink Martini's Groove Thing


My art usually has a meaning for me and I choose to be an ally. So for this week's Tuesday giveaway, up for grabs is a Grunge Ally charm. Leave a comment and you'll be entered to win.

12 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Cindy, thanks for taking the time to be 'political', although I would label you as caring and thoughtful. I have worked for many years now in GBLT projects in our community and it is truly shocking how many young GBLT people are not only harrassed but how much violence is perpetrated upon this group, often just because someone thinks they look different. When people like you speak out it does make a difference. Thank you!

Diana P. said...

I love the beads you featured and I agree with you 100%.

EmandaJ said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for writing this post. I'm straight, but not narrow but I have many GLBT friends (and relatives!) so this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

Emanda
Artymezia@yahoo, etc., etc.

moonlitfantaseas said...

I am all too aware of what gay people in general have to face every day of their lives, whether they be teens or adults, but life is much harder for the teens, as we all know kids can be the crewelest people on earth, just being an outsider is hard enough, add being gay to that...one of my children is gay, so I do know she didn't officially come out until she was out of high school, but all her life she was picked on and abused by her peers, I thank god every day that she was strong enough to become the well adjusted adult she is today, I am so proud of her......my heart aches for these kids that haven't been able to cope with the mean hearted people of the world.....its sad that they should have to in the first place

TesoriTrovati said...

Cindy, thank you for taking the time and using your space to spread the word. Hate begets hate. And I am appalled at the way that hate is running rampant in our society, not just toward LBGT teens but people of every race, religion and creed. We live in a society that was founded to be embracing, to crowd out irrational fears and here we are combatting intolerance. Thank you, dear Cindy for offering your space as a platform to spread some love. And I love that Emanda said she is straight but not narrow. I will use that from now on!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Anna Lear said...

Thank you for your words; I'm really saddened by the hatred out there and find it appalling that schools and society permit such cruel harrassment of LGBT teens. Thanks also for posting the beautiful jewelry and charms.

Elizabeth said...

Teaching at a high school, I see so many disconnected kids EVERY DAY, just holding on for dear life. Kids sitting by themselves at lunch or on the stairs. I make sure I say hi to each kid I see that is alone. You never know, you might be the ONLY friendly face they have seen in days, weeks or months. I was one of those kids. Thank you for your words, they will help.

DK said...

I want to echo some statements above and thank you for using a bit of your space to be 'political' and for taking the time to do so as well.

Unknown said...

This breaks my heart. It doesn't matter if we disagree with choices, all people deserve to be treated fairly, with respect and understanding.

JeannieK said...

This breaks my heart to so I won't comment on that, but I'd love to be entered to win your very cool, very grunge charm.

Alice said...

Thank you for sharing. The world needs more tolerance, more love, more compassion. Not everyone chooses to live a certain lifestyle, or wear certain clothes, or subscribe to a certain faith. Yet all are humans, and deserving to be treated with respect.

Cyndi L said...

"Groove Thing" is just STUNNING!