Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Take It Tuesday: Business Tips from a Flake


It's time to admit it, folks.

I'm not as productive as I'd like to be.

I sometimes spend hours on the computer and get nothing done (can you say Facebook and Twitter?)

I have great ideas, in fact, I'm a brainstorming machine.

Successful implementation of those ideas is spotty.

It's time to admit it.

I'm a flake.

It's time to re-evaluate (how cliche since it towards the end of the year, but however cliche, it's true.)

So if you are a fellow flake, take heart! There's help at hand! Check out the Complete Flake's Guide to Getting Things Done by Sonia Simone.

After I read Sonia's blog post, I knew I needed to have a compost pile.....


...No, not THAT compost pile!

I mean a place to put all of my good ideas and try to keep it neat somehow. I've got sketchbooks for my design ideas but I needed a place to put the advice and good ideas I got from the web.

Remembering vaguely that one of my friends showed me a notebook program, I googled and found Notebook by Circus Ponies. You can download a 30 day trial for free.

So far, so good. Notebook is where I put the notes for this blog post.

Now, come a little closer to the computer screen...you can whisper....are you a flake too?

5 comments:

Higgins Design Studio said...

(in a hushed tone) I don't know... I can't remember who I am some days... does that make me a flake?

PS - my compost pile is bigger than yours... LOL

SummersStudio said...

Hi, Cindy and thank you! I've been over to the website and found not only the link you gave, but heaps of incredibly useful stuff. I've even refocussed a few things in my life and work as a result. BTW, my physical organization system looks a lot like yours. And shh, listen closely as I whisper 'i am a flake'

EmandaJ said...

Sshh, don't tell, but I'm a flake too. I have loads of blank books and sketchbooks with only a page or two written in. I'm not much of a journaler either. And my workspace it chaos! A friend told me about Evernote.com, but I haven't checked it out yet. Hang in there, it will get better if only you keep plodding along.

Emanda
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks everyone for commenting! I like nice simple advice, I'm easily overwhelmed by making lists and the details then nothing gets done. Hope you all took a look at the link - there IS lots of straightforward information there for us Flakes!

Thanks for whispering and sharing your flakiness - Flakes are safe here! :-)

Flake on!
Cindy

Tracey Hewitt said...

I just discovered I am a total flake!! But I'm laughing! Thanks for sharing this Cindy...I went for a look at remarkable communication...cool stuff there!

You are definitely not alone!