Thursday, April 09, 2009

Fertility Dolls: Ghana

Fertility dolls have a rich tradition in Africa. What I thought of as fertility dolls are the wooden dolls of Ghana. I was surprised to learn of another kind that I'll blog about tomorrow. The wooden dolls are meant to be worn by the woman wishing to become pregnant or should be placed in the bedroom. Below is one lovely example.


Asantewaa, a pair of fertility dolls made by Daniel Nyadedzor represents the brave queen mother of the Ashanti people of Ghana.

Another representation of a strong woman! I'm drawn to the shape of the doll, the oversized head and small body with pointed arms. Her face has a serene expression with the wood providing an overall texture.

What are your thoughts on this?

6 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

You know what? These bring home to me the idea that we are all connected, we are all basically the same underneath the cultural surface. These Ashanti's remind me so much of the ornate pictures of Hindu goddesses.

Deb said...

Now these I love!....& would love to own, but not for their intended purpose!!

The timber used & the finish on the examples that you have shown is wonderful, the subtle patina adding to their look of ageless beauty.

rosebud101 said...

There's an air of regality in these dolls. They must be the queens of fertility and command a great deal of respect. They are very interesting.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Angie,

I agree- we are all connected in so many way and this one is through dolls! :-) What a great connection, huh? I'm so fascinated by the strong women goddesses like Mekkala and the strong queen portrayed here.

It's been a fun and fascinating research project this week!

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Deb,

Wood is so textural and the patina on this makes you want to reach out and touch it doesn't it? I love these too and the story that inspired them is empowering to women I think.

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Mallory,

Yes, they are regal aren't they? I think the oversized head and headdress add to their royal air.

Cindy