Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I venture into a mold....

Today is a new adventure for me. I know it's a well trodden path but it's one that I've never taken a venture on. It's mold making.

Yup, except for a complete-failure-mold I made in a fusing class a few years ago, and probably because of the complete-failure-mold, I've never tried to make a mold again. I just figured it went into the same category as clay - Cindy=not very good.

But the allure of creating an Art Noveau style pendant has just been too strong for me. I bought this antique button from the local "Button Lady" who infrequently shows up at the local flea market to sell her treasures.

OMG - don't you LOVE it?!? There's French written on the back of it and I had to have it. I'm pretty sure I paid $25-35 for it, but it's just so beautiful, I had to have it. Nevermind I had no idea what I'd do with it at the time.



So last week, I decided it was time to try my hand once again at mold making. I bought the sculpey mold clay awhile back. It was just the thing I needed. I read the directions and an online tutorial. I collected the materials I needed: work surface (the good part of an old shower curtain spread over my favorite tablecloth), baby powder and corn starch ( you can use either, I ended up using the corn starch), various buttons and the sculpey.

I planned to try out other buttons before my French one but I was so excited, I just went for it. I dusted the French button with cornstarch using a paintbrush and pressed it into the mold.





What do you think? I think it came out very nicely!

I learned a couple of things - the mold making sculpey is alot softer and becomes mush in your warm hands so don't work it too long. Refrigeration is good!

If the molding clay gets too warm and you can't get your button out cleanly, put it in the frig or freezer.

If some of the molding compound is left in your button, put it in the frig then to clean it, take it to your kitchen sink and spray it with your dishwashing sprayer. Maker sure the water is cold. If you don't have a sprayer, you can run it under the faucet but turn up the water so you get a good strong stream of water on it. You could always use a garden hose if you have it too.

I'm glad I finally took the mold path :-) It opens up some new possibilities for my work - glass and metal together!

So have you taken an adventure? Have you tried a well worn path but it's new for you?

15 comments:

sharon said...

I have started doing ATC's and some mixed media...and am loving it, BUT, wouldn't you agree we need more hours in the day?!!

sharon said...

Most importantly, your button and mold are fantastic!!!!

Unknown said...

looks great! its always nice trying new things and finding you are pretty good at them, eh?

Emi

TesoriTrovati said...

Cindy, you never cease to amaze me. Your willingness to share the ins and outs of your new projects is so great. I have not worked with molds (not sure why I would) but I have been using a fair amount of vintage buttons in my work of late. I love 'em. Such character and go well with my found object themes. As for my new things...metalwork. And not one to shy away from a challenge, I don't even practice, and I am completing the coolest bracelet with a special message clasp. Watch for it on my blog...Thanks for sharing your inspiration! Can't wait to see what you do.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Just A Tish said...

this is fantastic!!

rosebud101 said...

This looks so interesting! We shall see! Thanks for sharing.

Esther said...

i use to make molds too, it offer us unique charms, your button is magnifique!!

Andrew Thornton said...

If you have any questions, you should ask Cynthia. She's a master mold-maker and even has a chapter on mold making in her new book.

Although the Sculpey Mold-Maker clay is pretty good, in my opinion there are other molding compounds that do a clean and more crisp job. You can also have fun with shrinkage rates and making perfectly proportionate miniatures if you like!

P.S. What did it say on the back in French?

Anonymous said...

that's an awesome button.
i just made my first molds a few weeks ago. i'm gonna make some more, loved it

Jeannie said...

Cindy, this is fantastic! You should sell the molds, they're truly OOAK.
I have started mixed media, but I get too side tracked with other work. I really want to focus on this and get my website cleaned out with all my other jewelry that just seems I've "outgrown."
Maybe a clearance sale.

Judy said...

Your button mold came out great! Thanks for sharing your process, I collect antique buttons and had not thought of doing that. Hope you will share your finished project.

Kay said...

I'm curious how you would use this with glass or will it be just for PMC?

Kay said...

I'm curious how you would use this with glass, or is it just for PMC maybe?

Kay said...

I'm curious how you would use this with glass, or is it just for PMC?

Anonymous said...

Hi I have been trying out glass molding and am prety stuck. I nead to know how you get your glass out of the mold, or in my case the mold out of my glass, the best release agent I can come up with is Baby powder(Talkum) but it leaves a frosted finish and usualy quite bad?