Thursday, October 16, 2008

Believe it or not.....



...these are all classified as the same color, "coral."

Glass is the same as dye lots in other arts, fabrics, seed beads, etc. The "dye lot" phenomenon causes hoarding among glass beadmakers - wanting to make sure you have enough of that color so you don't run out. But there's a down side to hoarding, end of the year inventory otherwise known as counting all of the extra pounds of glass you've bought.

With that in mind, I'm going to start selling off some of my extra glass. I really really really don't want to count some 6,000 rods of glass again this December.

But first, I've got that Open Studio coming up this Sunday, better get back to work putting price tags on my beads!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Wow Cindy - 6,000 rods!!! That's an awful lot of glass!

I'm going to keep my eye's open!(she says crossing everything & hoping that when you do there is some of that real orangey coral on the top left that looks suspiciously like Tequila Sunrise -lol)

I hope your Open Studio is fabuous!!

angelinabeadalina said...

Yeah, wow!! Your Open Studio would be like walking into a glass fantasy land :)

P.S. All those corals almost sent me into terrible flashbacks to when I was new to glass and did not know about the different batches. OMG! I fell in love with a coral, ordered more to replace it, and ended up with some alienpukesomethingorother they said was coral but it sure didn't look like what I'd come to love!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Deb,

Yes, it is!! I hate myself when I'm counting them. Yes, that IS tequila sunrise in the picture. It's the original and I need to unload some of it so after the open studio, I'll put a thread in the garage on LE.

I don't want to count 6,000 rods again! :-)

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Angela,

Knock wood it goes well (of course, I should be cleaning the studio right now but I'm writing responses to blog posts instead ;-)

Coral is a real nightmare for consistency. You never get the same coral twice. It's aggravating and for a newbie - oh my!

I hate the black cherry/cinnamon color - ugly but there are those that love it!

Cindy

Amanda said...

Goood luck with your Open Studio! I'm sure everything will go wonderfully!

After you've got Open Studio out of the way, I've got a question that I'd love an answer to, if you've got the time. I've been thinking about lessons (if our local glassblower is still offering them), and there's a really affordable flat fee, but that doesn't count the price of glass. Any chance you could give me a vague idea of various glass rod pricing? (Or really just what I might be using to learn basic glassblowing, which will begin with simple beads.) I'd appreciate either any textual advice, past post links, or website links you could offer! You're a trusted authority on the matter, so I figured I'd check with you. (: