Thursday, October 23, 2008

Books I Love: Making Connections



I love this book! I find myself carrying it around the house because I want it right next to me when I sit down for a few minutes. Porque you ask? Well, Susan Lenart Kazmer's, "Making Connections" is not only a comprehensive treatment of cold joins, it's also a beautiful book to look at. Mixing simple, straightforward technical information with lovely photography and drawings, Kazmer's book is a rare find - a treat for the eyes and the mind.

Nine chapters cover materials, tools and every cold join you can imagine. Chapters detail wire attachments; staples, tabs and prongs; rivets, hinges and attachments with movement just to name a few. I'm particularly inspired by the chapter on staples, tabs and prongs seeing new ways to use sheet metal with my glass cabachons or beads.

This is on the top of my pile of books and think it's gonna stay there for awhile.

1 comment:

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I've been eyeing that book, but I was on a magazine and book diet. Book shopping must be in the air right now, though, because I went to the bookstore and brought home two yesterday. I'm glad to see your review of Susan Lenart Kazmer's book - I was fortunate to take a class with her in Santa Fe, NM years ago, way before she created the book. She's a fun person and a good teacher, if you ever get the chance ... Jump!