Monday, October 20, 2008

Sentimental Junk


Guess what these are?

Yep, pottery shards and they look like they came from an early 20th century dump.

You'd be right.

The dump was a garden on my father's family farm. The house I grew up in. The house my father was born and died in. I found these shards digging in the garden one year, readying the ground for planting.

My oldest brother laughed at me. Why do you want those old broken pieces of plates?

It's history, I told him. We know what kind of plates they used, we know where they were made and from what.

I'd like to work these into charms like my ABS colleague, Lynn.

What would you do with them?

7 comments:

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Cindy, those shards are so special and would make fantastic shards! I have a teacup saucer my family gave me that got broken accidently and I was going to use it to make charms but those plate shards you found have such a wonderful history, I can't wait to see how you make them up!

Wish I was there for your open house, sigh. Hope it went well.

Deborah Lambson said...

oh I'm so with you on that one, those are treasures for sure..what do boys know :-) I have no ideas for you but I can't wait to see what you come up with.

angelinabeadalina said...

Glad to hear the Open Studio went well (as if they wouldn't have fun in a studio like yours, with an artist like you!). Those shards are definitely treasure. . .Good thing your brother didn't understand, or you might have had to share :)

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks Lynn - I think they're special too. Now, if I can just make them into sweet charms like you make! That would be great!

wish you were here too - there were awesome beaders here and you'd fit right in :-)

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Yeah, what DO boys know! Smile! Thanks Sweetwater - I keep them out on my bench so they're foremost in my mind. I'll keep thinking :-)

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Angela. I have to say that I'm following on the heels of the two most awesome teacher-beadmakers, Faith Davis Ferris and her awesome Dad, Dave Davis. The Guild went there last year and then here. I studied with Faith so of course she's the Britney of beadmakers to me (except she wears more clothes, hee hee), so I was a little nervous and then twice as many people came! WOW! It was cool.

Have a beadalicious day!
Cindy

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

If I make up some with my teacup saucer I'll send you some photos. Have you seen the photos on my blog about Alexander Calder - some of those wire wraps have little ceramic insides if you look really close. Might be something fun to try out.