Tuesday, December 30, 2008

If you don't flux, router!


Yesterday I had fluxing success but if you're struggling with soldering, or you just don't want to create that look, you can try routering your glass cabachons. I like to use this technique when I want a "floating" look - where the frame that holds the glass cab is hidden.

The equipment you'll need is a glass grinder and a special jewelry bit. Yep, that's what it's called, a jewelry bit. I buy the Aanraku Twofers



There's a better picture on the Delphi Glass website if you're like me and want to see a close up picture - in fact, here it is from the site:


Once you have the bit, it's really easy to just run the edge of your fused cab around to create a groove in the glass like the one on my painted cab:


Delphi Glass has a quick step by step for adding a wire frame to create a pendant out of the routered glass cab.

Try it! If you don't solder, router!

4 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

Cindy, I'm loving all the glass goodies this week! The filigree looks great framing the cabs, and the snowflake one with bezel is so cool. I know these two faces will be gorgeous all wired up into pendants, too.

rosebud101 said...

ditto!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Angela,

Thank you! The glass goodies are from my multi-tasking, otherwise known as starting a project or chore and not finishing it - I've had various glass projects half done for awhile and now I'm finishing them all up at once. The readers benefit - YAY!

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks Mallory! :-)