Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Work: Fine Silver Clay

Bronze clay has encouraged me to try fine silver clay (pmc) again. I tried it awhile ago but as I've mentioned, I always felt Cindy + clay = lousy beads. My foray a couple of years ago into pmc was proof to me.

Yet, I've seen several pieces I'd like to duplicate and put into jewelry but the shrinkage with bronze metal clay is around 30%. That means, if I have a small piece I'd like to duplicate, it's going to shrink 30% making it difficult to finish.

Silver clay (pmc 3) shrinks much less, something like 10%. So I can duplicate smallish (1/2 inch or 12mm) and be able to finish it. Here's my latest piece:



On a photography note, see how much different it looks here on the roses and black background? I like how it looks here but the top one gives a truer picture of what the piece looks like. The one below, I think, sells the piece.



Right now, I'm not selling the Victorian Belt Buckle as a component so no link to my site today. I've created it specifically for jewelry. In my next post, I'll show you the finished piece.

So, tell me, readers, which picture do you like best and why?

7 comments:

Katie said...

I like the first picture best...I think it gives a better view of the detail in the piece :o) But both are great and probably much better than I would take (haha...still working on those camera skills)...

SummersStudio said...

Nice piece. I actually like the white background photo because it seems more detailed and the piece has more depth.

ClickNCamera said...

What I see in the top photo is by far the one that shows greater detail of a finished product. However, the second shot, maybe didn't mean to be, but is a good example of what PMC looks like right before it is time to remove the torch. (A good reminder for this PMC beginner!) Anyway, thats my opinion of the photos...I love this buckle!

EmandaJ said...

Hi Cindy,
I like the white background photography because it is clear and you have your text on it. Perhaps you need a little side lighting to show off the texture better and that's why you don't like it. Just a thought.
Emanda
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

lovely piece!
i like the first photo as well; it shows the piece beautifully. the second one seems washed out.

Silver Parrot said...

I like the first picture better - the piece is easier to see and the detail stands out really nicely.

rosebud101 said...

I agree. First photo is the best. It really does show the detail of the buckle. Very nice work, Cindy.