Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Besides Beads....

June 27, 2006....what else do I do? Today, I'm going to digress for a bit and show you another craft I work in...crochet.

During the past few years, I've re-learned how to crochet. I say re-learned because I crocheted during the '70's when I was a teenager and crocheted garments were "groovy." I stopped crocheting when I went to college because I never seemed to have any time! I carried my yarn stash around with me for years before I finally got rid of it.

Then beading came very popular again and along with it - crochet! All of a sudden I was seeing these lovely crocheted beaded ropes! I wanted to do that! Made several attempts on my own (boy were they AWFUL!) with no luck. So, I signed up to take a basic class with larger yarn (not thread) to see if I could get my skills back. I took the beginner class, the intermediate class, the summer poncho class (I posted a picture of the poncho last year along with the beads I made to go with it), the fall poncho class and was off making my own garments again. I've designed my own very basic shrug and am working on a pair of socks. The beaded rope? Well, I still haven't master that yet. But I've moved onto thread.

Today's picture is one of the 3 crochet projects I have going. It's cotton thread in a size 3. All different sizes but the same shape, a circle - circles, very bead-like don't you think? My initial plan was to make a scarf that would go from large circles down to small ones with tiny circles as fringe. I may still do that but making the circles is addictive. I can make one or two circles every evening and feel like I've accomplished something! Pairing the colored circle with the black outline makes the color pop.

Circles have been my theme lately. I'm making the flameworked glass circles and at the same time have been making the crocheted circles. Somehow, they'll come together but you and I will have to stay tuned to see where the circles lead me!

5 comments:

Miachelle said...

There must be a crochet pheremone making its rounds. I'm working on a very mini bangle purse, and my daughter is making me a pair of those fun fur flipflops that kids her age are making.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Crochet pheremone! Very funny!! Yes, I agree and glad to see it going around! The bangle purse sounds like it will be very pretty - I've been thinking about doing an amulet purse. Did you see the felted crochet bag that I made the glass disk beads to go with? Yikes! I'm going on and on! I'll stop here :-) Thanks for the comment!

Miachelle said...

http://jewelryzine.blogspot.com/2006/06/new-project-bangles-with-purpose.html

I posted about it, with instructions.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Love the bangle purse! I've copied the instructions since that crochet pheromone has been going around! :-)

blackstone lampworker said...

I LOVE the circles! Even if you don't do the scarf, they would make a dyn-o-mite piece of art, matted and framed, arranged in declining order as you suggested... - Lyn