Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Research: Roses in Frederick Law Olmstead Park



Yesterday around lunchtime, I found myself with about an hour to kill. I took a walk in the city's park to do a little glass research. Wow, what gem! Designed by Frederick Law Olmstead (the same person who designed Central Park in NYC), the park is really a horticultural sanctuary in the middle of a city. I took pictures of the roses in the rose garden and wandered along a few of the park paths. You can click on the title and it will take you to a site on Olmstead - the first American landscape architect - click on the "works" and it will take you to the various sites that show his actual parks and park systems.

I was in the rose garden taking pictures to understand better how to create the roses and flowers in glass. Glass is a perfect medium for sculpting flowers because of the vibrancy of the colors, the ability of the glass to reflect light and the fluidity of the glass which allows it to be formed into detailed representations. I don't always do enough of this kind of research - to figure out how the living thing is "built" before I try to "build" a representation in glass. It was a good day of research - look how beautiful these flowers are!

No comments: