Monday, June 14, 2010

Mad for Monday: Fascinated with Fascinators

I like to collect vintage goods and am always on the look out for new ways to use them and my handmade art beads. I'm fascinated with fascinators lately and want to try my hand at making some with art beads and/or vintage pins.

We all remember the first time we saw them - Project Runway and the infamous Kenley (Photo Courtesy of fanpop.com.) and her feather fascinators.


They've caught on now and here are select favorites from Artfire.com:


Xanadu by yjdesign on Artfire (photo courtesy of yjdesign.) Yjdesigns uses a vintage rhinestone pin as the center.


Floral Fascinator by Bead Flora on Artfire (photo courtesy of Bead Flora.) Bead Flora works a beaded bloom into a fascinator that will go with everything.


Fascinator Cocktail Hat by yjdesigns on Artfire (photo courtesy of yjdesigns.) Another stunner from YJ Designs using a vintage rhinestone piece in this funky hat.

What about you? Are you fascinated with fascinators?

2 comments:

Jennifer Cameron said...

This is the first time I've heard of the term fascinator. I guess this falls under the "learn something new every day" category. Fascinating ;o) I can hardly wait to see what you do with your ideas.

Speaking of vintage, my mom comes from a long line of people that don't get rid of anything. I have no clue what kinds of treasures she's storing, but the other day she showed me a box overflowing with handmade lace. Much of it was over 100 years old! (I know this because my great grandmother was very good about labeling things she kept). Kind of random information, but thought you might find it interesting since you love vintage stuff.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Jennifer!

Wow handmade lace over 100 years old - amazing!! You'll have to post a picture on your blog or somewhere, I'd love to see it!

Yup there is a generation of "re-usegalistas" (ha I think I just coined a term) who saved everything because it could always come in handy later! My mother used to save hand me down clothes, turn them inside out because the color was vibrant on the inside and sew them into new outfits! That'd be upcycling now.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing!
Cindy