Thursday, March 20, 2008

Doodling in Glass.... Organic Glass Links

I haven't worked "off mandrel" in awhile. "Off mandrel" is the same as "off hand" meaning that the heated glass is not wound around a stiff wire (mandrel) to create a beadhole. The hot glass is heated and formed free hand into its final shape. Off mandrel can be more challenging because you don't have the help of the mandrel to hold the glass - you have to create your shape and then eventually you'll need to hold it with a set of tweezers - making sure the glass doesn't crack as a result of touching the tool.

So, last week, I sat down at the torch with some new colors and played. I wanted a modern look, where the form and shape was the focus.





The shape comes from how the glass changed form from a solid to a liquid to a solid again like how rain becomes icicles and then will become water. It felt like I was doodling to create these glass links - ranging in size from 15mm to 24mm in diameter. The links are entitled "Organic Glass Links" but I think I'd prefer to call them Doodle Links. What would you call them?

4 comments:

JenniferJangles said...

Cindy, These are sooooo cool. I love them and can see so many design possibilities with them.

Elaine Ray said...

Cindy,

Wow! I am loving those Organic Glass Links. In my mind I can see the beauty they will link together.

Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Jennifer! Yes, you're right and I can't wait to make something with them. I love it when a beadmaker is excited to work with her own beads!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment, Elaine! :-) I'm looking forward to using the links in a jewelry piece. I'll certainly post it when I do! :-)