Sunday, March 09, 2008

Let the Alternative Begin: Generation Jones

Today is the start of alternate styles week. You might wonder why I of all people would be into alternative style like punk and/or goth. All of us are effected by our place in time and generation. I'm from the baby boom generation - that long stretch of time when there was a huge increase in the birth rate. But the span of time is too long to be one distinct generation - I never felt like a boomer I was too young to be a hippie. I was barely in elementary school during the "summer of love." I never protested Viet Nam or knew anyone who dodged the draft and went to Canada. I've never belonged to the baby boomers. I had Spirograph and Gnip Gnop not Howdy Doody.

I've always known I wasn't the only one who felt like I was a Gen X-er instead but the media told me I wasn't. My website bio expresses some of my "not fitting my generation" feeling so what's a "I'm not a boomer to do?" Change your generation's moniker! Well, I didn't but someone had the brains to do just that! I'm not a boomer at all, I'm from Generation Jones. Cool - here's what Wikipedia says Generation Jones is:

In demographic terms, Generation Jones was part of the baby boom which ended in the early 1960s. However, the events stereotypically associated with generational discussion of Boomers, including protests over civil rights and the Vietnam war and the emergence of rock music took place while the members of Generation Jones were still children or early teenagers. Thus the early life experience of this group was more similar, in many respects, to that commonly imputed to Generation X.

THANK YOU!!

Thank you for validating my instincts. I can now say I'm part of Generation Jones rather than I'm a boomer and quantifying it.

Instead of the Mamas and the Papas, I love The Clash and punk subculture with a DIY attitude. Yes, it's my generation that sets the stage for the work I create but it's not a boomer aesthetic, it's Generation Jones!

Let's begin Alternative Week with one of my favorite bands and songs, The Clash singing London Calling! Whoot!

2 comments:

Deborah Lambson said...

Great post! I can relate..it was my older sister who got to watch Howdy Doody..he was off the air by the time I got the hot spot in front of the boob toob. and don't tell anyone but I never really did like the Beatles all that much. :)

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Yep, Lennon was better without McCartney ;-) Glad there's another Jones-er out there who isn't pretending to be a hippie! :-)