Friday, April 11, 2008

Beading on a Budget: Peek into a Beadmaker's Jewelry Box!



If you've been reading this week, we've made the Encircled Spiral Pendant on a budget so now how do we string it? Here's where my bead commitment issues are helpful. Since I don't like to commit a bead to a permanent design, I prefer to make pendants that are interchangeable - like the Encircled Spiral Pendant. Here are some good ideas for re-using necklaces you may happen to have in your jewelry box already!

Beadmaker Tip ALERT! Purchase a couple of high quality plain necklaces to use for interchangeable art bead pendants - a wise use of your beading budget and you don't sacrifice quality.

Here are a couple of ideas from my own jewelry box:

1. Finished Rubber Cord: String the pendant onto a 16 inch rubber cord necklace like I've done with the spiral beads below. The rubber cord has a sterling silver lobster clasp. The hole in the spiral is large enough to allow me to slip the spiral on and off so I can put a different spiral onto the necklace according to my mood!



2. Attach to a Base Metal Chain: The silver jump rings of the Encircled Pendant open so you can attach the pendant to a base metal chain like I've done here with a handpainted fused glass pendant. I can change the pendant by opening up the pretty colored jump ring and pop on another pendant.



3. Sterling Silver Snake Chain: A higher end option is the silver snake chain used here with a spiral bead. When I'm looking for a specific color to wear to the dinner party, this sterling silver snake chain fits the bill. I slide on a large holed bead and away I go for a night of dinner and music!



You can bead on a budget and still have style and quality. Creative thinking and creative buying will keep you beading happy.

No comments: