Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Trying out new things....

Several months back, I ordered some Bronze metal clay - BronzClay. I love the look of bronze metal and I was in the middle of trying out the metalworking techniques of Susan Lenart-Kazmer. The BronzClay was brand new and I wanted to try it out.


I finally got around to working with it. I've got a bunch of used clay tools - but this one is my favorite. I'm sure there's a technical name for it, but I've got no idea since I rescued the tools from the trash.

I don't consider myself to be very good at working with clay. I've tried making some ceramic beads (a disaster) and some polyclay handles for crochet hooks (ugly) and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. But I really want to make some charms to go with the wire and glass I'm making soooo I wanted to have a go with the bronze metal clay.

Have you tried something new lately? What prompted you to try it out?

8 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Hi Cindy. I've been experimenting with the bronze and copper clays. Like you, I wanted something to compliment my current work. Have you fired the bronze yet? I've had some luck and some disasters. As far as I can see it's a pretty precise firing schedule. Cheers, LeAnn

TesoriTrovati said...

I took a class in silver clay at the Bead & Button. It was fun, and I am glad I had an expert teacher to guide me! I never did manage to finish the piece...the class should have been much longer. And I am not set up to torch fire and tumble...so maybe someday it will be complete! I enjoyed it and can see so many possibilities. I can't wait to see the finished pieces you are showing...will you be selling them? Enjoy the day! Erin

Just A Tish said...

I had no idea there was bronze metal clay - how awesome. i must put this on my list.

I have been playing around with hemp - trying to do some knot work in between beads. not very successful as of yet, but i will keep tryin!

rosebud101 said...

I've been working with wire. I truly love copper wire. I am not a person to turn green with it. It's just a way to develop my skills and see what happens.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi LeAnn,

Yes, I've fired the bronze clay - now to get the post up today! :-) It definitely fires differently than any other medium I've worked with so far.

Thanks for commenting!
Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Erin,

Sounds like you took a great class. Here's hoping you'll be able to complete the project :-) I'm going to write up a post today about the BronzClay - yes, I am planning on selling them.

Enjoy your day too:-)
Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Tish,

Oh knotting is much harder than it looks! I had to really work at getting the knots just right with the Lucky Knots and Lampwork necklaces. But the good news is, once you get the knots just right, it'll be a breeze after that. Hope you put up some of your knotted pieces on your blog!

Cindy

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Mallory,

I learned all my wire skills on copper wire - it's such a great wire for bending and working with - not to soft, not too hard but just right! I turn green from it but who cares? It's so lovely and oooo that gorgeous patina it gets! Hope you're enjoying your new medium!

Cindy